Welcome!

French Confessions is a tell-all on everyday life in France.
How are the French different from other cultures?
What makes France so amazing, silly, serious, annoying, joyful, and fun?

Find out, chat with us, and ENJOY! or ENJOY ! (as the French would write it, with a space between the word and the explanation point).

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Taking the bus in France

Hi, this is another article from our contributing writer, Christine.  She travels to France a lot throughout the year, and lives here for 4 months every Fall.

The bus system in Paris is really wonderful, really it is....but every once in a while I just have to ask myself huh??  Yesterday I was taking the bus to the Louvre.  I was meeting a friend there at a specific time.  No problem.  You can go online and check out what time the bus will depart from your local stop and how long it will take to reach your destination.  Yesterday I was on the bus reading the nice red signs, "welcome to bus route number 22.",  "Route 22 wishes you a good day." "Destination Hotel de Ville." which was perfect because this bus route takes me right by the entrance of the Louvre on its way to the Hotel de Ville.  As I am reading the signs , feeling very smug because I can actually understand them in French, I notice that all of a sudden the red sign says "Destination changer." HUH????  The destination has changed, no explanation, just that the destination has changed.  One more stop and the driver asks  us all to get off of the bus and wait for the next one with no explanation.
Now what I also don't understand is not one person said anything or even questioned it.  We all got off of the bus.  I did not wait for the next one, it was a beautiful day in Paris and I walked the rest of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment