Welcome!

French Confessions is a tell-all on everyday life in France.
How are the French different from other cultures?
What makes France so amazing, silly, serious, annoying, joyful, and fun?

Find out, chat with us, and ENJOY! or ENJOY ! (as the French would write it, with a space between the word and the explanation point).

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Buy your bags in French supermarkets



Message from contributing writer, Christine

So here is something I think the French do so right, and I understand
that it it being done in the U.S. as well, just not all over.  I went
into a store today that sells nothing but frozen foods....a story for
another day...and the sign said that they would charge me 3 cents for
each bag I needed to put my purchases in.  I have a fold up bag in by
handbag at all times, so I did not spent my 3 cents...but the point
is..I had a fold up bag in my handbag  just for this purpose.  I mean,
really, at home my supermarket asks me if I want paper or plastic.
Many stores in France charge you if you want a bag for your groceries.
 This is annoying at first and believe me I complained about spending
3 cents for a bag the first time I was charged for it.   But after a
minute of thinking about it it made good sense to me.  I really never
know what to do with the hundreds of plastic bags I have at home.
Think about it.  We actually can purchase bags to hold our bags in the
U.S.  At the end of the day, a minor inconvenience because you have to
carry a bag with you at times, but I really thing the French are onto
something.  I know that I am helping save a little bit of our planet
every time I bring my own bag...a great idea for my children an my
grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment