Welcome!

French Confessions is a tell-all on everyday life in France.
How are the French different from other cultures?
What makes France so amazing, silly, serious, annoying, joyful, and fun?

Find out, chat with us, and ENJOY! or ENJOY ! (as the French would write it, with a space between the word and the explanation point).

Saturday, October 15, 2011

French boulangeries

So, I went to the boulangerie this morning, the one right next to my home. The owner there knows me pretty well; she always says hi, asks about the kids, smiles, etc. So, why, when I give her a 10 dollar Euro bill, does she give me my change back on a little tray instead of handing it to me? It's odd when you think about how the French greet each other with a kiss in pretty much any given situation. The truth is, while they always come across as tactile when you meet them, in truth, they are very reserved. This 'tray' scenario is pretty much the case in any boulangerie you go to. Rather than handing you your change, it is placed in a tray. Sometimes I take offense to it, like 'Why won't you just hand me my change? Do I smell bad?' But you can't take it personally. It's a cultural thing.

So think about that when you go to the boulangerie tomorrow.

This is Lindsay, signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment