Welcome!

French Confessions is a tell-all on everyday life in France.
How are the French different from other cultures?
What makes France so amazing, silly, serious, annoying, joyful, and fun?

Find out, chat with us, and ENJOY! or ENJOY ! (as the French would write it, with a space between the word and the explanation point).

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Do you like your meat raw?



The French like their meat pretty raw.  They even eat it raw.  It’s called a ‘Tartare.”  If you like good meat and you like it raw, you’d love a tartare.  If you DON’T like raw meat, but you enjoy eating meat, then you have to know how to order it correctly.

Here’s a rule of thumb: if you order a hamburger in a French restaurant (please don’t if you’re only here for a week…) and you want it medium, then order it well-done.

Take a look at this picture and you’ll get what I mean.
I ordered my burger ‘medium’ and it’s practically mooing.
I’ve been here for over 11 years.  I should know this by now.  But every time I think to myself ‘No, if I order it well-done, it might come out that way.’ 

Anyway, if you order a burger or a steak, and you want it cooked a certain way, go up a level to get it right.

This is food for thought – literally – and Lindsay, signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment