Welcome!

French Confessions is a tell-all on everyday life in France.
How are the French different from other cultures?
What makes France so amazing, silly, serious, annoying, joyful, and fun?

Find out, chat with us, and ENJOY! or ENJOY ! (as the French would write it, with a space between the word and the explanation point).

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Customer Service lesson number 1




Ok, if there is one thing in France that really bugs me, it's the customer service; that is, the BAD customer service, or more like 'WHAT' customer service??

So, I think I'm going to have to give a lesson or two every couple of weeks on customer service. Mind you, American's have a lot to learn from the French, but customer service is not one of them....

So, there's a place called Berko in Paris. Very trendy, hip place. They make cupcakes, American-style cakes, etc. An exciting concept in France...
So, for my ten year anniversary party I decide to order a cake there.

Here's what happened:

Step 1: I go to the place in July. It was lunch time. The main cook was busy. Ok, fair enough. I was told to come back at 6PM.
Step 2: I went back at 6PM. The main cook was arguing with his owner/boss. This went on for an hour. I finally left the place. They told me to write an email at the end of August to order the cake.
Step 3: I wrote them as told. No reply.
Step 4: (this was starting to get annoying - it's just a cake...). No reply. I wrote back.
Step 5: I received an email saying 'Sorry, it's too late'... What the ****!!!!
Step 6: I called to complain. They told me they'd 'try to fit it into their schedule' and they'd get back to me.
Step 7: Of course, nobody got back to me. I called back and the answer was YES, we'll do it. (why is it that I had to plead these guys? Who's the customer here)??
Step 8: I received the price for the cake 2 weeks before the party. It was over my budget.
Step 9: I wrote them back (three minutes after receiving their reply) and asked for a smaller cake in order to fit into my budget.
Step 10: They didn't answer. At this point, I wasn't surprised. I wrote them an email to ask if they would be 'kind' enough to get back to me.
Step 11: No reply. Never heard from them; and luckily, I found a friend of the friend who made me a cake at the last minute....It was amazing (the picture above is of the cake she made) and it was half the price.

Moral of the story?
> If you want to copy an American-style business, customer service is more important than the product you're selling.
> Don't think you're the only 'cake people' in town. The cake I found was amazing, and the service was perfect.

Here's her info if any of you ever want an American cake in Paris.
Thanks Sandrine!

123 Merveilles
Sandrine
123merveilles@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment