Welcome!

French Confessions is a tell-all on everyday life in France.
How are the French different from other cultures?
What makes France so amazing, silly, serious, annoying, joyful, and fun?

Find out, chat with us, and ENJOY! or ENJOY ! (as the French would write it, with a space between the word and the explanation point).

Monday, September 5, 2011

Back to school! (and happy Labor Day)

Hi,
While Americans are enjoying their day off today (happy Labor Day by the way) I am experiencing for the third consecutive year the 'rentrée de class' (aka 'Back to School').
So, why all the fuss? Just look at the picture below...

This is my FIVE year old son's list. First of all, even though my French is very good, I've got to tell you, I feel like I'm learning a whole new language. I've never seen something so precise.

The day I went to get all of his school supplies, I had to flirt with the guy at BHV (a mix between Home Depot, CVS and Macy's) to get him to go through the list with me, supply by supply. Here are a couple of examples just to give you an idea of the insanity behind this list:
> A large binder (21 X 29.7 cm) with 4 rings. Make sure the rings are on the middle part of the binder and not on the back.
> Markers (average size) Bic brand, with the little bubbles on them.. (?) huh?
> 12 Big markers/crayons (not so clear) Stabilo brand with a triangular shape - So, I thought they meant highlighters, right? I bought 18 highlighters only to find out that they wanted 18 colored pencils in a triangular shape because they're easier to hold (why didn't they just say that?)
> An apron - BUT NOT plastic. Must be cloth. Must have elastic bands around wrists...

And so on and so forth....Long live the 'Rentrée de Classe'. What is it going to be like when he's TEN?

2 comments:

  1. My goodness that is a long, picky list! (hi, just stumbled across your blog on expat-blog.com - your story & mine sound very similar!) My older son is in CP this year and only had to have a chemise à rabats, agenda, and trousse! The school provides everything else. (yes, public school!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, right? It's true that Public schools are a little easier I'm that respect. My daughter goes to public school and it's not as bad. But school is more serious in France at such a young age in comparison to the States.

    ReplyDelete