Welcome!

French Confessions is a tell-all on everyday life in France.
How are the French different from other cultures?
What makes France so amazing, silly, serious, annoying, joyful, and fun?

Find out, chat with us, and ENJOY! or ENJOY ! (as the French would write it, with a space between the word and the explanation point).

Monday, November 7, 2011

Is age taboo in France?

A fellow blogger, Keith Eckstein from A Taste of Garlic, writes a review of every Tuesday "of some of the posts from the last week that have made me smile, made me chuckle or, even…. just made me think."
I wrote a post about my Birthday a little over a week ago, but I didn't mention my age.  The truth is, I could care less about people knowing my age.  Keith tried to figure out how old I am.  I'm sure that he probably figured it out - it takes a little googling to do so, right? - but to be polite or due to lack of time, he apparently things I'm anywhere between 21 (which I know he's kidding about- and 30.  Keith, I'd like to thank you for that one.
So, do French women talk about their age or not?  About a month ago I went to the States on a business trip (I know, there are worse things in the world).  My American colleague told me about a time when her French (and male) boss asked her how old she was.  She was shocked.  Now, I think the French women are different.  It's not such a secret, and it's not insulting to ask.  Most people even put their age on their resume.  I believe it's better that way.  If somebody doesn't want to hire you because of your age, than why would you want to work for them (unless of course you're close to retirement because it's harder to find a job in France at that point)?  Age isn't taboo in France, even among friends and acquaintances.  Maybe this changes when you get much older, but all in all, the French women are not as afraid of ageing as American women are.  They actually embrace it - maybe I'm getting a little carried away here.
So Keith, any idea how old I am after having read this article?  There are about two clues in there.
This is Lindsay, wishing you a happy Monday, signing out.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsay

    We've all had another big discussion over this and we're split 50/50 between 23 and 24?

    All the best

    Keith

    P.S. I'm in the 24 camp but don't take it personally; that's still quite young!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you're not quite there yet. I wish.

    ReplyDelete